To become certified as a USA National scorer, a candidate must:
- Be a current USA Volleyball registered member in good standing with his/her RVA.
- Be certified as a USA Volleyball Regional scorer for at least one year and have demonstrated proficiency in the use of the USA Volleyball scoresheet using the modified USA Volleyball rules.
- Must have taken and successfully passed with a score of 90% the current scorer online examination in the year of candidacy.
- File the official application form with approval signatures of the respective RVA Commissioner and Scorer chair and required application fee with the Director for Scorer Certification and Evaluation prior to the published closing date.
- Attend the mandatory National candidate scorer clinic in its entirety at the tournament rating site prior to the rating evaluation.
- Successfully complete the practical scorer examination at the prescribed USA National tournament rating site.
- Successfully complete the National scorer evaluation rating process
- Completion of other requirements as prescribed by the USA Volleyball National Indoor Officials Commission, Scorers.
- After successful completion, the new National scorer must attend a USA National Open Volleyball Championship within 3 years to complete their certification. If not the certification of National scorer will be rescinded.
NOTE: Application deadline is April 15th with notification of acceptance by May 1st each year.
National Scorer Requirements – 4-Year Term
- Remain a USA Volleyball registered member and active scorer in good standing within his/her RVA
- Remit annual dues as levied by the Officials Commission of USA Volleyball by the date established by the Officials Commission
- Annually view the online National Scorer Clinic and obtain a passing score (90) on the National Scorer Exam
- One year during this term must attend the USA Volleyball Open National Championships and score a minimum of 2 matches
- In an alternate year during this term must attend any of the following events in the capacity specified
- USA Volleyball Open National Championships and score a minimum of 2 matches
- GJNC or BJNC as a Scorer Monitor
- GJNC or BJNC and score a minimum of 2 pre-approved 16 or above Open matches (with or without pay) – these scoresheets must be turned into the Head Scorer at the event
- High Performance Championships and score a minimum of 2 matches
- International Event as a Primary Scorer
To receive credit when being the primary scorer at any of the qualifying events listed below, the National Scorer is responsible to forward the scoresheets or copies by fax, mail or email to the Associate Chair of National Indoor Officials, Scorers within 21 days of the event. The National Scorer must include the name of the individual (head official, assignor) of the event.
- National Special Olympics Championships and score a minimum of 2 approved matches
- PVL Event as the primary scorer
- Score two matches at any other event pre-approved by the Associate Chair of The National Indoor Officials’ Commission, Scorers that uses the USAV approved scoresheet
Beginning in 2014, as the National Scorers’ current certification date expires the new 4 year term will begin.
Repercussions for not fulfilling the requirements of a National scorer
- A USA Volleyball National scorer who does not submit his/her dues by the deadline will be assessed a late fee of 100%. If the dues and the late fee are not received by the subsequent deadline, the National scorer certification will be rescinded
- A USA Volleyball National scorer who submits an exam after the deadline will not be confirmed to work as a scorer for the USA National Open Volleyball Championships or as a monitor at the USA Junior Championships during that year
- A USA Volleyball National scorer who does not submit a scorer exam before May 31 will lose their USAV National scorer certification
- A USA Volleyball National scorer who fails to achieve the minimum score of 90% of the scorer exam, but still submits the score by the testing deadline, will be placed on a one-year probation
- If a National scorer does not achieve the minimum score on the scorer exam for a second consecutive year, the National certification will be rescinded
- A USA Volleyball National scorer who does not register to work the USA Volleyball Open Championships by the established deadline will not be confirmed to work that tournament.
- A USA Volleyball National scorer confirmed to work the USA Volleyball Open Championships if the dues (plus late fee, if applicable) are paid, the scorer exam is submitted by the deadline, and he/she registers for the tournament by the deadline. A confirmed scorer is guaranteed to work the number of matches requested in the registration (up to a maximum of 6/day, except for the last day of any session). This number of matches will also depend on the number of teams registered for the tournament
- A USA Volleyball National scorer is accepted to work at the USA Volleyball Open Championships if the scorer exam is not received by the deadline, and/or if he/she registers for the tournament after the deadline. An accepted scorer is guaranteed only those matches needed to maintain a certification and to meet attendance requirements at the tournament. All other matches assigned will be on an as needed basis
- A USA Volleyball National scorer who pays dues (and late fee, if applicable) and meets the examination requirements can register to work the USA Volleyball Adult Open Championships at any time up to the actual dates of the event, and will be assigned to the matches needed to maintain a certification
- A USA Volleyball National scorer who does not attend the required USA Volleyball Adult Open Championships during the three (3) year revolving certification period, and does not ask for, in writing, a one-year extension of certification, will be placed on a one-year probation period. A scorer encountering unusual difficulty in attending a USA National Open Volleyball Championship may request in writing, to the Associate Chair, National Indoor Officials Commission, Scorers, for a one-year extension of his/her certification
- In the year of their probation, if the scorer does not attend the required tournament, the USA Volleyball National certification will be rescinded
- In the year of probation, if the scorer attends the required tournament, a new three (3) year extension certification will be granted
- Once a National scorer certification has been rescinded he/she must reapply thru their region to become a National scorer candidate and fulfill all requirements of a National scorer candidate